top of page


Dorking Wanderers 2 Bromley 3

Vanarama National League

November 19th 2022

Dorking's run of league games without a win extended to five as ten-man Bromley held out to take victory in an eventful game at Meadowbank on Saturday afternoon. Despite it being their first win in 8 games, the Kent side moved up to within 1 point of the play-off places with the result, whilst Wanderers by contrast slip down to 16th. Marc White's side had seen more of the ball in a largely flat and unsettled opening half an hour, but Michael Cheek broke the deadlock for the visitors with less than ten minutes until half-time. The game truly came alive in the lead up to the interval as Bromley midfielder Corey Whiteley was dismissed for collecting a second yellow card, and within a substantial amount of added on time due to a few player collisions, Harry Ottaway would equalise for Wanderers before Omar Sowunmi quickly restored the away side's one goal advantage. However, not long after the restart Harry Forster's strike squirmed through the legs of the debuting Joe Walsh, leaving Wanderers an uphill task despite the extra man advantage, and despite dominating play for the vast majority of the second half a point could not be rescued despite Ryan Seager pulling a goal back with five minutes of normal time remaining. Debut's were handed to goalkeeper Joe Walsh and winger Jasper Pattenden after the duo signed on loan until January earlier this week, and manager Marc White was able to welcome Josh Taylor, James McShane and Seb Bowerman back to the starting line up after the trio missed out completely at Southend last weekend. Isaac Philpot and Harry Ottaway, who came off the bench last time out, both also started as Wanderers reverted back to their familiar 3-5-2 formation. The raft of changes saw Niall McManus, Bobby-Joe Taylor and Jimmy Muitt drop to the bench, whilst Dan Lincoln, Barry Fuller, Archie Procter and Jack Jebb would all miss out on a place in the matchday squad. With less than a minute on the clock Reece Hannam and Pattenden collided heavily going for the ball, the first of a few collision-based delays which would occur throughout the match, naturally affecting the pace and rhythm. Both players were thankfully deemed okay to continue after several minutes of receiving treatment. Both sides resembled their respective form through the opening exchanges as play was often cautious and steady in tempo, clear chances arriving first through McShane as he was denied with a block at point blank range after great build up play between Seager and Josh Taylor from the right channel, before Michael Cheek spurned a good opportunity up the other end, unable to get over the ball as it came across the face of goal from the left. Around the half-hour mark the right winger's from each side carved out chances; Harry Forster gathering a loose pass out in the channel, cutting inside swiftly and forcing Walsh into his first real action with a low save to down his left, Pattenden then blasting an effort wide and seeing his dangerous ball across the six yard box land for Bowerman, who's attempted volley was well shut down. On 36 minutes Andy Woodman's side managed to break the deadlock; Callum Reynolds through ball from the left touchline somehow rolling all the way into the path of Cheek peeling off the back of his marker, and the striker comfortably finished from several yards out. Wanderers nearly found an immediate response, brilliant interplay between Josh Taylor and McShane proceeding Pattenden taking hold of the ball and striking the underside of the crossbar. Bowerman's measured cross from the left searching for Ottaway sailed all the way through to the back post where Pattenden was again unlucky, not able to direct his header on target as he glanced it across goal. Having already been cautioned midway through the half for a late challenge, attacking midfielder Corey Whiteley picked up his second yellow and was dismissed with a few minutes of regular first half time remaining, recklessly bringing down Josh Taylor on the very edge of the Bromley box. Instead of opting for a strike at goal, Luke Moore slid a pass to his left which Josh Taylor would make a good contact with, but ultimately forcing a comfortable save for Smith. Into 11 minutes of added on time due to the collision based stoppages, Wanderers pulled themselves level. Pattenden was alive to a heavy pass steered back towards the Bromley defence, and after his initial effort was closed down Ottwaway was on hand to half-volley the ball into the bottom left corner. The Ravens then quickly brought a halt to the sudden lift around Meadowbank by getting themselves back on terms with a couple of minutes of the allocated time remaining; defender Sowunmi up from the back for a corner and nodding the ball home after getting ahead of his marker in the six yard box. Half-Time: Dorking Wanderers 1 Bromley 2 Marc White made a double change at half-time with Jimmy Muitt and Bobby Joe-Taylor coming on for Jasper Pattenden and Joe Cook. Pattenden had been increasingly influential in the game through the course of the first half, but it seemed that his withdrawal during the interval was based on still feeling the reverberation from the head clash suffered very early on. The Wanderers manager had been critical of both Muitt and Bobby-Joe after last weekend's clash with Southend, but the duo immediately sought to get their side on the front-foot and led the chase to get back into the contest with their direct running down each flank. As crosses began to rain down on the Bromley box, Ottaway would go close at the far post heading over the stantion. Approaching the hour mark, against the run of play, the away side managed to add to their lead and it was a nightmare moment for Walsh on his debut. The lively Forster did well to get hold of the ball up against a couple of defenders, cutting slightly inside from the right before unleashing a strike from outside the box which would squirm through the legs of Walsh and trickle into the back of the net. The game immediately fell back into the same pattern though as Wanderers dominated the ball and peppered the Bromley box; Bowerman and Bobby-Joe delivering dangerous crosses before McShane would go perilously close twice in the space of 30 seconds; slick play down the right proceeding Macca having a shot blocked from the edge of the six yard box before Smith produced a fine reaction save at point blank range when play was recycled back to the Wanderers top scorer. It was looking increasingly like 'one of them afternoons' for Wanderers in front of goal as Muitt somehow clipped the crossbar with an effort from just a few yards out, getting a foot on the ball as it was driven across goal. With five minutes of normal time remaining a goal was pulled back as Seager side-footed home a Bobby-Joe cross from very close range, the former Hungerford man netting his 8th of the campaign. Striker partner Ottaway was then magnificently denied by Smith at the near post, a deft flick with pace on it clawed away by the on loan Arsenal stopper as it was rising above his head. Bobby-Joe took aim for the top right bins from a free kick but just sent it marginally wide, and Gallagher's cross for defensive colleague Philpot in the dying minutes was headed off target. Despite dominating the ball for the majority of the second half with the extra man advantage, Wanderers ultimately couldn't salvage a point. A bitterly disappointing result in the circumstances for Marc White's men who have a quick opportunity to respond as they travel up to Halifax Town in three days time. Dan Stobbart

Dorking Wanderers (3-5-2): 41 Joe Walsh, 2 Isaac Philpot, 20 Dan Gallagher, 33 Joe Cook (3 Bobby-Joe Taylor 46'); 34 Jasper Pattenden (7 Jimmy Muitt 46'), 18 Luke Moore, 17 Josh Tar, 11 James McShane (c), 30 Seb Bowerman (4 Sami El-Abd 63'); 9 Ryan Seager, 24 Harry Ottaway

Unused Subs: 6 Niall McManus, 29 Alfie Egan

Goals: Ottaway 45+4', Seager 85'

Yellow Card: Josh Taylor 54'

Bromley (3-5-2): 1 Tom Smith, 6 Omar Sowunmi, 17 Byron Webster (c), 2 Callum Reynolds; 19 Harry Forster, 4 Billy Bingham (8 Ethan Coleman 31'), 21 James Vennings, 18 Corey Whitley, 3 Reece Hannam (7 Charles Clayden 49'); 9 Michael Cheek, 10 Adam Marriott (20 Jude Arthurs 46')

Unused Subs: 11 Louis Dennis, 22 George Alexander

Goals: Cheek 36', Sowunmi 45+9', Forster 55'

Yellow Cards: Whitely 22', 41', Vennings 26', Arthurs 64', Reynolds 66', Smith 85'

Red Cards: Whitely 41'

Referee: Scott Simpson

Attendance: 1907

Sponsors Man Of The Match: Luke Moore

Match Stats (with thanks to Aaron)

Shots on target: 7-5

Shots off target: 12-1

Corners: 10-3

Offsides: 0-2

Fouls: 9-10

Yellow cards: 1-6

Red cards: 0-1

bottom of page