top of page


Depleted Wanderers Look To Bounce Back

Dorking return to National League South action on Saturday as Hampton & Richmond Borough are the visitors to Meadowbank.

Following last weekend's remarkable win at home to Hemel Hempstead, Wanderers hit the road three days later to face Eastbourne Borough under the lights at Priory Lane. Early goals from Alfie Rutherford and Darren Oldaker via the penalty spot were reward for Wanderers making a quick-fire start to the game, but 'Sports' top scorer Charley Kendall swiftly pulled one back, winning and converting a penalty himself to cap a relentless opening twenty minutes. Eastbourne started the second half like Wanderers had begun the first as Jaden Perez equalised shortly after the restart, and with a bumper crowd behind them, Borough remained in the ascendancy for much of the remainder of the contest. They broke Wanderers hearts with a couple minutes of regulation time remaining as full back Jake Elliot curled home from distance after cutting in from the left flank. Perhaps jaded from their weekend exploits, Wanderers were left to reflect on a disappointing evening having gone two goals up early on, a decent Eastbourne side ultimately taking advantage to make it three wins on the bounce as they continue to push for the play-offs. After Tuesday night's matchday Wanderers remain top of the table but now via goal difference.

Marc White has stated via the local press and social media since Tuesday's game that the Wanderers squad have become further depleted through illness, with Barry Fuller, Wes Fogden and James McShane still struggling, and the likes of Ed Harris, Niall McManus, Luke Moore and Jimmy Muitt now also suffering. The manager hinted some may still be in contention for Saturday's game albeit not in ideal circumstances. Dan Lincoln will definitely miss out however as his suspension begins following his red card picked up last weekend against Hemel.

The Beavers

It's been just over a couple of months since Wanderers faced Hampton & Richmond Borough in the reverse league match at The Beveree, and the Middlesex side again find themselves coming into the fixture sat in 14th place in the division.

Manager Gary McCann will hope that entering the final stretch of the season his side can find consistency and push up the table. After a run of four straight defeats from the end of January through to the end of February, 'The Beavers' stopped the rot with a 1-1 draw on the road at Chippenham Town, and have since won back to back home games, defeating both Dulwich Hamlet and Welling United by a 2-1 score line.

As around the time of Wanderers visit to The Beveree in January, the club have continued to be active in the loan and transfer markets as they strive to maintain a competitive squad. James Roberts, prolific in his time at Oxford City, was signed on loan from Havant & Waterlooville back in February, but has just been recalled by his parent club this week. In tandem with Zach Robinson being recalled to his parent club AFC Wimbledon and Jorome Slew's loan at AFC Fylde being extended, the club have had to refresh their attacking options. Destiny Oladipo has joined on a non-contract basis having been previously with Forest Green and Lowestoft, and fresh off the presses, Wassim Aouachria has just joined from Charlton Athletic. In the defensive area the club have further extended the loan of Woking's Tommy Block and have also brought in Lucas Ness from Charlton Athletic, an initial one-month deal just extended at the time of bringing in Aouachria. Regular keeper Alan Julian was ruled out with Covid in the midweek win over Welling, so Reice Charles-Cook may continue to deputise between the sticks after recently agreeing non-contract terms. #Throwback

The sides last faced each other at Meadowbank on Boxing Day of 2020. As they had done the previous season, 'The Beavers' secured a 0-1 victory, Tyrell Miller-Rodney's goal with just over ten minutes remaining enough to take maximum points back to Middlesex.

In the reverse fixture at The Beveree back in January, Wanderers overturned Rui Donaldson's early header to lead 1-2 at the interval, with the goals coming late in the half through Jason Prior's penalty and Wes Fogden's close range finish. Wanderers dug in to hold on to that score line through the second half, and that's how the game finished.


Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page