top of page


Maidenhead United 1 Dorking Wanderers 1 Vanarama National League

December 3rd 2022

Dorking began a busy week of league action on the road by coming away from Berkshire with a point on Saturday afternoon.

Ryan Seager got Wanderers off to the perfect start on two minutes with a composed finish, but the home side gradually came back into the contest and restored parity on the hour mark through defender Remy Clerima's header. The Magpies did strike the crossbar in each half, and looked the more likely to grab all three points in the latter stages, but Wanderers again fought hard to grind out a positive result for the second week on the spin.

Marc White opted for just one change to the side which started in the victory over York last weekend, Jasper Pattenden returning to the line up after competing necessary concussion protocols after his head clash against Bromley to replace the suspended Luke Moore. The change moved Niall McManus into central midfield having started on the right wing last time out.

With their first attacking move forward, Pattenden and Josh Taylor linked well in the build up before Taylor slid a measured through ball in for Seager, who coming off the shoulder of the Maidenhead back line timed his movement really well to avoid an offside call and calmly tucked the ball beyond keeper Dan Gyollai.

Joe Walsh had to immediately produce a top reaction save to deny the imposing Clerima with a header from a long throw as the hosts pushed for a leveller, and the lively Sam Barratt had a couple of opportunities not long after, firing a free kick into the wall before nodding just wide. Wanderers were otherwise comfortable in possession throughout the first half hour as the pace of the game remained steady, chances at goal and end product at a premium though. McManus nearly sent Seager away one-on-one again after good build up from the left and Pattenden was unfortunate there were no takers for a couple of dangerous balls he dropped into the six yard box from the right chanel.

Josh Taylor picked up a knock and was replaced by Jack Jebb ten minutes before the interval, and Jebb nearly replicated Taylor's assist for Seager within moments of coming on; collecting Ottaway's cushioned chest down and sliding a ball through for the Wanderers No9 who again stayed onside, but this time dragged his effort just wide of the post.

There was fear spurning such a good chance would haunt Wanderers before the break as Alan Devonshire's side rallied; Walsh producing outstanding consecutive reaction stops as he first denied Ashley Nathaniel-George after he showed quick feet to drive forward and strike firmly from the left, before the subsequent corner ball was hooked goal-wards by Clerima and clawed over the top. Harris was continuing to win the majority of his aerial dual's and Fuller made a very timely interception at the edge of the box, but just a minute before the interval Barratt had a go from range cutting in from the right, and saw his curling strike bounce off the top of the crossbar.

Half-Time: Maidenhead United 0 Dorking Wanderers 1

Bobby-Joe Taylor came on to replace Nicky Wheeler at the break as Marc White looked to inject further pace into his side after the restart, but it was a scrappy opening to the second period, Nathanial-George having a deflected effort bobble through to Walsh ahead of Ottaway and McManus combining well to release Pattenden from the attacking right, his rising effort flying over the top though.

In not dissimilar fashion to last weekend, the Wanderers rear guard had stood up well to the direct threat posed with aerial deliveries into the box, but were undone on the hour mark as a high cross from Barratt on the right arrived for the tallest man on the pitch Clerima, and he managed get a decisive contact ahead of the committed Walsh and powered a header into the back of the net.

Dan Gallagher came on to replace Ryan Seager as Wanderers went to a back four for the remainder of the game - McShane pushing higher up to play closer to Ottaway in attack. In the wake of the equalising goal though both sides struggled to find an urgency in their play, and as the game ticked on with Alan Devonshire making his substitutions late and the yellow cards racking up for Wanderers, the game was beginning to trail off. Emile Acquah momentarily pulled the game back into sharp focus by striking the crossbar after dribbling in from the right flank, and in stoppage time the final home sub Shaun McCoulsky broke free in the box and attempted a lob over the advancing Walsh, but sent it just wide. Wanderers ultimately held out to protect the point, perhaps coming away from the game disappointed not to capitalise on the very early goal and dominating much of the play for the opening half-hour. Maidenhead posed a continual direct threat and did carve out the better chances as the game went on though, and Wanderers can again be pleased by another improved defensive performance, the back four including goalkeeper Walsh following up last weekend's win with another strong collective display. Marc White's side have a quick opportunity to continuing building on the positives as the rescheduled Halifax Town away fixture is up next, hopefully, for this Tuesday night. Dan Stobbart Maidenhead United (4-4-2): 1 Dan Gyollai, 2 Zico Asare, 6 Remy Clerima, 24 Alan Massey (c), 5 Cole Kpekawa; 7 Sam Barratt (19 Ryan Upward 77'), 10 Kane Ferdinand, 27 Charlee Adams, 8 Ashley Nathaniel-George (9 Shaun McCoulskey 89'); 14 Emile Acquah, 17 Reece Smith (11 Dan Sparkes 86') Unused Subs: 20 Koby Arthur, 23 Adrian Clifton Goal: Clerima 60' Yellow Card: Kpekawa 78'

Dorking Wanderers (3-5-2): 1 Joe Walsh, 22 Barry Fuller (c), 5 Ed Harris, 33 Joe Cook; 34 Jasper Pattenden 6 Niall McManus, 17 Josh Taylor (23 Jack Jebb 32'), 11 James McShane, 16 Nicky Wheeler (3 Bobby-Joe Taylor 46'); 24 Harry Ottaway, 9 Ryan Seager (20 Dan Gallagher 62')

Unused Subs: 4 Sami El-Abd, 7 Jimmy Muitt

Goal: Seager 2'

Yellow Cards: Fuller 44', Harris 57', Jebb 66', Cook 81'

Referee: Garreth Rhodes

Att: 1042


Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page