top of page

FA Youth Cup 2nd Round: Dorking Wanderers U18s 0 Colchester Utd U18s 2

Dorking Wanderers U18s 0 Colchester United U18s 2

FA Youth Cup 2nd Round

November 18th 2020

Dorking's journey in the FA Youth Cup came to an end after they were defeated by Colchester United at the 2nd round stage. Despite a valiant effort from Wanderers, a second half brace from Tom Stagg sent the Essex side through.

Jordan Clark's side were set up in a compact shape from the outset, inviting The U's to take on play and get forward, but with clear intent to press in central midfield and counter swiftly. Junior Tchamadeu got down the right channel and looked to pick out Stagg several minutes in, the ball well intercepted in the middle of the box, Harvey Sayer then taking on the first effort on goal, straight down Josh Barnett.

The visitors were eager to get the lively Samson Tovide on the ball for much of the contest, the winger producing two efforts in quick succession searching for the top left corner, before winning a corner which would be headed over the top by Frankie Terry.

Josh Alder led the line brilliantly for Wanderers throughout, doing especially well to win a couple of corners and get his side up the pitch; the endeavour rubbing off on his attacking colleagues midway through the half. Toby Munday held the ball up well and fed Alder on the edge of the area, who in turn back heeled the ball through to the advancing Josh Taylor, cutting in from the left he couldn't quite keep his effort down.

Cameron Black was imperious in the air in both boxes, nodding wide twice from successive set pieces, before getting a crucial headed clearance on a dangerous delivery swung in up the other end. Approaching half-time Taylor would again strike over the bar after doing well to get the ball out of his feet on the edge of the box. Ryan Lowe then also cleared the crossbar at the opposite end, before Max Erwood would produce consecutive blocks to deprive Sayer just before the interval.

Half-Time: Dorking 0 Colchester 0

Immediately after the restart Alder would charge forward and have a deflected effort saved by Ted Collins, but the away side would soon begin upping the ante in the attacking third, getting into the channels quicker, and started peppering the Wanderers goal. Tovide and skipper Marshall-Mirana would have strikes deflect off target, Stagg would screw a half-volley wide and Josh Fouche would find the back of the net, only for his header to be swiftly ruled offside.

Having weathered the storm, Wanderers started to threaten again around the hour, Taylor not able to register a strong enough contact on his volley after the ball bobbled around the box, Alder's dangerous cross forcing a punch away by Collins, and Black again up from the back, getting on the end of a ping from Ollie Allen, but again heading wide. Taylor would work the ball out to Alder on the right of the area, his effort straight down Collins.

Dorking were given a let-off as Stagg would clip the ball wide after being picked out by Sayer in the six yard box in space, but with just over a quarter of an hour to go the striker would take his chance to break the deadlock. Despite initially getting down well to clear a free kick with a low diving header, the ball was quickly recycled and made it's way to Stagg at the back stick, this time making no mistake as he cannoned the ball in off the post.

With both sides tiring, the fresh legs of subs Kodi O'Sullivan and Ollie Hudson spearheaded Wanderers in pushing for an equaliser late on. O'Sullivan did really well to meet a long ball and nod wide, before winning a corner which Josh Barnett would be granted permission to come up for. And it would be his delivery into the box from the left which begged for a contact, but sadly no takers, the ball running through to his opposite number Collins. Hudson would be fouled in the box to an emphatic chorus of appeals from players and staff a like, but the referee waved play on.

Barnett would be sharply called into action up the other end, saving from Stagg at close range with his legs, but The U's striker would seal the victory for his side in the final seconds of stoppage time, lashing home a rebound after good work from the right was initially kept out.

Wanderers can hold their heads high after producing an organised, disciplined display, and being well in the contest with a quarter of an hour go. Solid displays at the back were matched by hard graft in midfield and excellent hold up play up top. Clinical when it mattered though, Colchester will go on to face Watford in the third round.

Daniel Stobbart

Dorking: 1 Josh Barnett, 2 Josh Wells, 3 Alex Iman, 4 Noah Sapsford (c), 5 Cameron Black, 6 Max Erwood, 7 Lukas Fisher (15 Kodi O'Sullivan 76') , 8 Oliver Allen, 9 Josh Alder (12 Jack Murray 82'), 10 Toby Munday, 11 Josh Taylor (16 Oliver Hudson 82')

Unused Subs: 14 Luca Ash Brazier, 17 Louis Page, 18 Alex Mothersole, 19 Cameron Row

Yellow Cards: Sapford 50', Fisher 63', Barnett 90+'

Colchester: 1 Ted Collins, 2 Junior Tchamadeu, 3 Lordon Akolbire, 4 Ryan Lowe (12 Kacy Parish 90'), 5 Josh Fouche, 6 Frankie Terry, 7 Harvey Sayer, 8 Marley Marshall-Mirana (c), 9 Tom Stagg, 10 Donell Thomas, 11 Samson Tovide

Unused Subs: 29 Endurance Johnson, 14 Kai Redgrave, 15 Namory Kane, 16 Ellis

Sullivan, 17 Bayan Aman, 18 Tiazo Marcel-Dilaver

Yellow Cards: Fouche 59', Tovide 79', Sayer 89'

Referee: Anthony Andrews

Man Of The Match: Josh Alder

Match Image: Leo Winter

Stats: (provided by Olly Wyse @Olly_Wyse)

Dorking                       Colchester

     0               Goals                2

     6      All Shots     12

     5          Corners              10

     18            Fouls.               11

     8          Crosses.              10

  3              Yellow Cards          3

  0              Red Cards              0



Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page