top of page

Bognor Regis Town 1 Dorking Wanderers 3

Dorking made it two wins in a week on the south coast after defeating Bognor Regis Town by three goals to one at Nyewood Lane.

It would be returning 'Rocks' players who would come back to haunt their former side, Wes Fogden's opener was cancelled out just before the interval by Nathan Odokenyoko, but headers from Fogden and Alfie Rutherford through the course of the second half ensured Wanderers maintained a 100% record for pre-season heading into the final week of preparations.

Another former Bognor player Jimmy Muitt was absent from the matchday squad for today's game, as was Bobby-Joe Taylor, so Kane Wills remained in the back three but this time starting on the left side. James McShane came back into the side to play in behind Jason Prior up top - Wills, Prior and Sami El-Abd all also returning to their previous stomping ground today.

Both sides looked to capitalise on the excellent playing surface and width of the pitch by trying to lock in their possession game early on and play out. Wanderers started better and had two good chances inside the opening quarter of an hour; Luke Moore's measured through ball put Fogden away, the midfielder doing well to stay onside but his chipped effort unfortunately drifting over the bar. Josh Taylor then dispatched an excellent cross-field pass into the feet of Matt Briggs down the right, taking it first time in his stride 'Rocks' stopper Amadou Tangara was brave getting out and down to the ball to prevent the strike.

Briggs picked up where he left off from midweek with continued good work down the right as Wanderers kept up the pressure, and got reward on 19 minutes. Moore's shot from distance was gathered comfortably by Tangara, but poor distribution from the stopper was punished as McShane quickly worked the ball to Prior, who crossed from the right side of the area, Fogden arriving to tap the ball home from close range.

The front duo of Nathan Odokenyoko and Jordy Mongoy had been effective for the hosts who continued to be upbeat and following on from the goal began to carve out chances. Phil Brown found Mongoy who forced a point blank save from Worgan after doing well to buy space on the right of the area, Briggs also having to head away a dangerous cross from the same channel before Mongoy went for the spectacular from 40 yards out, his lobbed effort sailing wide of target though.

Another top pass from Taylor nearly put Prior in but a well timed interception stopped the shot getting off, and in the run up to half-time Bognor got back on level terms. Joe Dandy drove his side on from midfield and passed to Odokenyoko, who took advantage of the space opening up for him and 25 yards from goal struck low and hard into the bottom right corner, only the second goal conceded by Wanderers so far this pre-season.

Half-Time: Bognor 1 Dorking 1

Alfie Rutherford was part of a quadruple change at the break from Marc White, and inside the opening 5 minutes of the restart he started the move that got his side back in front. Finding Niall McManus on the right after good movement through midfield, his cross was headed firmly beyond the reach of Tangara by Fogden, the ball nestling into the bottom corner.

'The Rocks' also made a number of changes shortly after the break, and in tandem with McManus picking up a knock and being replaced by Briggs, plus opposition player Joe Cook also having to come off with a similar looking concern, the game lost the back and forth rhythm it had attained in the opening period.

With twenty minutes remaining sub Paul McCallum had the ball in the back of the net for the hosts after a well worked headed move but the offside flag was up, then a set piece opportunity from ideal shooting range was driven over the bar by sub Kayne Diedrich-Roberts as Bognor looked to get back on terms.

Midway through the second half an accidental collision between fellow team mates off the ball led to Bognor player Tommy Farr going down and having to be stretchered off, we wish him well and hope he make's a speedy recovery.

Wanderers managed to get the decisive goal with a quarter of an hour remaining, a slick move completed by Barry Fuller's cross from the right being headed home by Rutherford from close range.

Late in the game Slav Huk reacted well to deny Tyrone Madhani after Jason Parish teed him up just inside the area, the ball making it's way through a couple of bodies and a deflection, Huk dived down well to tip the effort round the post. Diedrich-Roberts had a good opportunity at the very end, but in looking to curl his strike into the top right corner, he put too much on it and the ball ended up amongst the crowd behind the goal.

Wanderers final pre-season fixture is back at Meadowbank next Saturday August 7th, National League Premier opposition Wealdstone the visitors.

Daniel Stobbart

Wanderers: Worgan (Huk 46'); Wills, Harris (El-Abd 75'), Fuller (c) (Black 80'); Briggs (Wheeler 46'), Moore (Gallagher 46'), Josh Taylor (Hester-Cook 56'), Fogden (McShane 75') , McManus (Briggs 56'); McShane (Rutherford 46'), Prior (Kealy 66')

Goals: Fogden 18', 51', Rutherford 75'

Assists: Prior 18', McManus 51', Fuller 75'

Bognor Regis: Tangara, Davies, Crane, Dandy, Cook, Robson (c), Brown, Robb. Odokenyoko, Bell, Mongoy

Subs: Leigh (50'), Madhani, Parish (50'), Mendoza (50'), Diedrich-Roberts (50') McCallum (50'), Field (64'), Farr (78')

Goals: Odokenyoko 38'

Referee: Daniel Austin


Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page