top of page


A month of comparatively fewer games saw Marc White add fresh personnel to his squad as Wanderers kicked off November with a six goal thriller and end with a first home clean sheet of the season...

Midweek Thriller In The West Country...

Marc White boosted his defensive options at the beginning of November with the signing's of Joe Cook on loan from fellow National League side Chesterfield and Archie Proctor on a permanent deal from Accrington Stanley. The pair would be included in the matchday squad for the opening game of the month, a midweek trip down to Devon to face Torquay United. Whilst Proctor named was on the bench, Joe Cook was handed an immediate debut, going straight into the starting line-up as Marc White shifted from the preferred 3-5-2 to a 4-5-1 formation. With much rainfall in the build-up, the game was subject to a very late call to determine whether it would go ahead, and despite the turf being especially sodden down the flanks, thankfully for all those who had committed to making the long midweek trip down to the south west, the match did get the green light.

The hosts took the lead early on; Dan Lincoln's pass into Niall McManus too firm for the midfielder to bring under control and winger Dillon de Silva capitalised, quickly gathering the ball and firing powerfully beyond Lincoln. Wanderers had established a grip on possession as the half went on, and managed to go into the break on level terms; Nicky Wheeler getting off the mark for the season in spectacular fashion, lining-up a strike from 30 yards out which would rise up and fly brilliantly into the top right corner. A nominee for the official National League 'Goal of the Season' awards at the end of the campaign, the sublime effort boosted Wanderers confidence coming out for the second half, and two goals in sixty seconds not long after the restart suddenly had Marc White's men 1-3 up. James McShane netted his 12th of the season from close range after excellent build up play involving Josh Taylor and Ryan Seager, before Wheeler would notch an assist to accompany his wonder strike by crossing for Jimmy Muitt to guide the ball into the net at the back post with an outstretched leg. Approaching midway through the half de Silva bagged his second of the night, arriving onto a ball driven into the right channel and smashing low past Lincoln, and Gary Johnson's side got themselves back on terms at 3-3 into the final ten minutes, defender Mark Ellis coming up from the back to loop a header over Lincoln as Torquay's persistence in playing long and direct paid off. Despite the number of goals conceded it was a night where Joe Cook had impressed on debut, adding a physicality to the Wanderers back line whist showing his qualities on the ball, and Archie Proctor came on for the final five minutes to make his debut in red and white. Top of the bottom half of the table in 13th, the point kept Wanderers right in the middle of the pack whilst Torquay moved off the foot of the table.

Back To Back Defeats...

Proctor was named in the starting line up as Wanderers hit the road again the following Saturday, travelling to Roots Hall to take on Southend United. Up in the play-off places after a brilliant run of 10 games without defeat prior to the visit of Wanderers, The Shrimpers were in confident form and delivered an assured and organised display to extend their run, limited Wanderers to very few chances across the 90 minutes. An early penalty scored by wing-back Jack Bridge and header from defender Shaun Hobson just beyond the half hour was enough for the Essex side to take all three points, the 2-0 win consolidating their play-off place whilst Wanderers were now without a victory in four matches.

Ahead of the visit of Bromley to Meadowbank the weekend after, two shorter term loan additions arrived to bolster the squad as winger Jasper Pattenden joined from Wycombe Wanderers and goalkeeper Joe Walsh provided competition for Dan Lincoln between the sticks after signing from QPR. Straight away, both were named in the starting line up, but for Pattenden, Wanderers life began in disorientating, uncomfortable fashion, the former Worthing man clashing heads with Reece Hannam inside the opening minute, causing a lengthy delay as both player's received treatment. The game veered back and forth from there as both sides carved out openings, but it wasn't until late in the first half the drama picked up again; Michael Cheek peeling off the back of his marker to finish off Callum Reynolds through ball and give Bromley the lead, only for The Ravens to see midfielder Cory Whitley dismissed for picking up a second yellow card moments later. Into 11 minutes of stoppage time due to the early accidental clash, Wanderers got back level through Harry Ottaway, crashing a half-volley into the back of the net after Pattenden's initial effort had been kept out, but Andy Woodman's team got themselves back in front towards the end of the additional time, imposing defender Omar Sowunmi nodding home from a corner ball. A man light and looking to protect their lead, as Bromley sat back Wanderers started to dominate proceedings after the restart, but were undone against the run of play as tricky winger Harry Forster's low strike squirmed through the legs of Joe Walsh to make it 1-3. Despite hammering on the door thereafter, Wanderers could only pull one goal back through Ryan Seager with five minutes remaining, on this occasion unable to rescue a point.

First Win In Six & A First Clean Sheet At Home...

National League North play-off winners from last term York City came to Meadowbank for the final game of the month as Wanderers sought to pick up a first win since defeating Wealdstone at home in October. Raising the stakes, the five game stretch without victory was mirrored by York, coming into the game in the same predicament and no doubt eager to arrest the slide as well. As expected, play was largely steady paced and cautious in the early going, chances in short supply throughout the first half but Wanderers did get ahead on 21 minutes; Josh Taylor's long-throw, which was deployed with greater regularity as the season went on, was flicked on at the near post by Ed Harris and headed into goal by James McShane making a timely arrival on the opposite side of the six yard box. The Minstermen took gradual control of the game into the second period and had Wanderers very much camped back into their own half late on, but a resilient, gritty defensive display prevented York from creating many chances despite their dominance of the ball and Wanderers held out to retain a first home clean sheet of the campaign and just a second all season, signing off November by getting back to winning ways with a 1-0 win.

A busy December saw Wanderers start the month with three consecutive away days, produce a memorable comeback under the midweek lights at Meadowbank and also begin their run in the FA Trophy...

Follow the drama from the very start next season and secure your seat for 23/24 with one of our season ticket packages, on sale now:


Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page