top of page


With the business end of the season fast approaching, Wanderers pick up form at just the right time, putting much needed points on the board at the start and end of the month...

Turning The Corner...

FC Halifax Town were the visitors to Meadowbank on the first Saturday of the penultimate month of the campaign, and whilst the match itself would go on to finish in a stalemate 0-0 draw, the performance and result represented the start of a marked improvement in resilience from Wanderers which would remain evident through the rest of month and really come to the fore in the closing weeks of the campaign.

It would be a first goalless draw in the league for Marc White's men since November 2020, with a man of the match display from Dan Lincoln keeping Wanderers in the contest at the interval after The Shayman worked a number of good chances throughout the first half, but the decision from Marc White to adopt a more pragmatic approach and introduce Luke Moore and Harry Ottaway after the restart would see the momentum in the game quickly swing the other way. Despite a late rally, Wanderers were ultimately unable to turn one point into three, the major positive of maintaining a clean sheet though the first to be kept in the league since the 0-1 defeat of Barnet back in September.

And, just three days later, it would be the play-off chasing North London side up next for Wanderers back on home soil and under the midweek lights. Without a win in the last three and looking to build on the positives from the weekend, Wanderers had made a bright start to the contest but found themselves behind on 12 minutes; Leyton Orient loanee Harry Smith angling an impressive looping header from near the edge of the box beyond the reach of Dan Lincoln to find the top corner of goal. Not phased by the setback, Wanderers remained upbeat and deservedly got back on terms just before half-time; Tony Craig stepping into midfield and finding George Francomb, who in turn slid a measured through ball in for Josh Taylor to calmly finish after taking an initial touch to steady himself. Not long after the break, Francomb would open his account for Wanderers in spectacular fashion, gathering a Barnet clearance and buying space with a clever touch at the edge of the box before unleashing a left footed drive straight into the top corner, met by the sound of utter delirium from the Wanderers supporters in The Bank stand behind the goal. Getting bodies behind the ball and setting up stall not to concede from there on out, Wanderers defended imperiously to prevent The Bees from creating many more chances, holding out to pick up a vital three points having come from behind.

Back On The Telly...

Four points from the last six available had put Wanderers back on a positive footing, and the timing was especially welcomed with a trip to title contenders Notts County next up. The red and white army had backed Marc White's men brilliantly on the road all season, and a fantastic 323 travelling supporters got up to Meadow Lane despite the fixture being broadcast on BT Sport for a 17:20 kick off, Wanderers second and final live appearance on the channel for this season.

The hopes of producing a remarkable league 'double' over The Magpies very much came alive inside the opening quarter of an hour of the game; Jason Prior sticking away Josh Taylor's cross into the near post area to re-open his Wanderers account and stun the home faithful, Wanderers fans by contrast in ecstasy whilst kit man Mitch's now infamous touchline slip during celebrations of the goal was quickly going viral online having been picked up by the BT Sport cameras. Luke Williams side had applied plenty of pressure in the early stages of the game, however, and got themselves back on terms within several minutes, striker Macaluey Langstaff continuing his remarkable season in front of goal with a poachers finish from close range. Level at the break, the hosts momentum and quality of football had rarely let up, and shortly after the restart Langstaff bagged his second of the afternoon by lashing home Sam Austin's cross from the left to net his 35th goal of the campaign. Wanderers showed signs of getting back into the game through the course of the second forty-five, seeing more of the ball and putting together a few attacking moves, but County managed to put the game to bed with five minutes remaining, Matt Palmer finishing off a flowing passing move to make it 3-1.

Back on the road the following Saturday, the opportunity for Wanderers to bounce back would come against York City at The LNER Stadium. Fellow play-off winners alongside Wanderers last term, The Minstermen had also found themselves looking over their shoulders at this stage of the season, but made such an energised, confident start to this game they appeared more like a side competing much higher up the table. With just 7 minutes on the clock, they got reward for their early endeavours; Manny Duku fastest to react and tuck the ball home after a volley from Mitch Hancox had come back off the post and then unfortunately rebounded off of Dan Lincoln as well. Undeterred, the stopper was once again in top form to keep his side in the game as York continued to push forward, and with Wanderers not able to force much up the other end, Michael Morton's team doubled their lead early in the second half through Ryan Fallowfield's half-volley connecting with a cross towards the back post. Dan Gallagher's header halved the deficit near the end of regulation time as Wanderers rallied late on, but were unable to prevent a second straight defeat and another frustrating afternoon on the road.

Back-to-Back Home Wins...

Seeing out the month with consecutive home games, first up was the visit of Maidenhead United to Meadowbank on March 25th. Aaron Kuhl was named on the bench for the first time since signing for Wanderers back in January, the midfielder arriving with an injury anticipated to keep his involvement for 22/23 limited to the back end of the campaign.

Like York the previous weekend, Maidenhead were also having to keep an eye on the relegation places coming into the game, and having missed out on the opportunity to narrow the points margins to those around them last time out, Wanderers made a much stronger start to this contest and opened the scoring approaching the half-hour. George Francomb's corner ball was nodded home by Jason Prior making a darting run across the near post, and within two minutes of the restart, JP9 doubled his tally for the afternoon, heading home again but with Jimmy Muitt the provider this time after good work from James McShane in the build-up. Seb Bowerman had stung the palms of goalkeeper Alexis Andre shortly before setting up Josh Taylor to steer home a third goal for Wanderers before the hour, Alan Devonshire's substitutions through the course of the second half gradually getting his side back into the contest and Charlee Adams pulled a goal back from the penalty spot with ten minutes to go. Aaron Kuhl came off the bench to make his first appearance in red and white during the second forty-five, the former Slough Town man's debut marked with Wanderers getting back to winning ways with a 3-1 victory.

The visit of Southend United rounded off the schedule for March as Wanderers were back under the lights again on home soil, and like the defeats of Maidstone United, Torquay United and Barnet earlier in the season, Wanderers produced another memorable midweek win in front of another bouyant atmosphere generated by the home support.

The Shrimpers came into the game in a really poor run of form but still remained in touch with the play-off places, and the committed away supporters travelling down from Essex would be the first to stand in the recently finished away end, which had been in development since the early part of the season to ensure ground grading requirements were met. The game itself was a really competitive one from the outset, momentum shifting back and forth with much of the play fought out in central midfield, but Wanderers managed to get ahead on the half-hour mark; James McShane taking advantage of hesitation from the Southend defence in clearing the ball away from the back to gather and quickly find Seb Bowerman arriving down the left flank, and the winger was clinical in slamming the ball high into the net to register his second goal of the campaign. Remaining fairly even through the second half, Kevin Maher's side did mount a late rally, but Wanderers, led brilliantly by Tony Craig deputising as captain in the absence of Barry Fuller continued to defend well, and through a nervy six minutes of added on time got across the line with a narrow 1-0 win, making it back-to-back victories in the league for the first time since September.

Into the final month of the season, Wanderers would build on their timely upturn in form with a string of excellent results on the road, packing out Meadowbank for the Surrey derby with Woking on Easter Bank Holiday Monday before finishing their inaugural National League campaign with an unbeaten run...

Follow the drama from the very start next season and secure your seat for 23/24 with one of our season ticket packages, on sale now:


Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page